The purpose of the Building Success website is to support efforts to implement smoke-free policies.
The Building Success research team conducted three studies that examined the opinions and experiences of early adopters of smoke-free housing policies, and identified key approaches that supported implementation efforts. This website provides information on how to implement a smoke-free housing policy. It identifies common barriers and strategies to overcome them and documents step-by-step strategies to support policy implementation. Adopting a smoke-free policy can be difficult at times but it’s helpful to remember that the end goal is to protect the health of everyone in the community.
Smoke-fee policy implementation is a process. It involves Preparation, Action, and Maintenance.
In the PREPARATION phase:
- Lay the groundwork with good planning
- Seek input from residents, staff, and community members
- Review the Building Success Planning Guide and resources
In the ACTION phase:
- Draft an Action Plan
- Incorporate feedback from residents and staff
- Finalize plans based on implementation strategies
- Develop community partnerships
- Delegate tasks
- Put your Action Plan to work
In the MAINTENANCE phase:
- Review your Action Plan regularly, make modifications as necessary using the Building Success resources
- Add new Action Steps to address any obstacles that arise
- Tailor the approach to what works for you